People tend to look for the perfect time to chase their dreams. They have a false sense of security that they have time. The perfect time is now. Believe in the saying "You might die tomorrow.” Someday that will be true. Let’s talk about some common excuses that are used to justify why someone might not have the time to start following their dream today, and instead put it off until “tomorrow”.
1. "I need to wait for the right moment." This stems from fear of failure and uncertainty. People convince themselves they need to wait for the perfect conditions or circumstances before they can pursue their dream. Waiting for the "right" moment can lead to missed opportunities.
2. "I don't have enough money.” You might think you need money saved or a stable income before you can start. Financial stability is nice, but there are ways to start small and find creative solutions to fund a dream.
3. "I'm too busy." This is an easy trap, an easy excuse. I’m not buying it. It’s just an excuse to put off pursuing their dreams because you’re afraid. Sure, balancing work, family, and other obligations can make it challenging to carve out time for personal passions. But, it's crucial to prioritize and make time for what truly matters to you.
4. "I'm not ready yet." This is an even bigger trap. You’ll never be ready. I could cite a cliche, “It’s the journey, not the destination” This excuse often stems from a lack of confidence or feeling unprepared. People believe they need more training or experience. This isn’t even common sense. You can’t have a dream to run marathon and never train for it. You may need to buy a pair of shoes. You certainly need to walk out the door, take that first step, and walk or run your first mile.
5. "What will others think?" Been there, done that! Fear of judgment and criticism from others stops people from pursuing dreams. It can be paralyzing. It's important to remember that your dreams are your own, and the opinions of others don’t matter.
6. "I'll start when I have more support." While having a supportive network is valuable, waiting can be never-ending. You’re wasting time! Self-belief and determination are crucial in pursuing your dream, even without immediate support.
It’s essential to challenge these common excuses for putting off living your dream, and realize that there will never be a perfect time to start following your dream. The present moment is the only time we have, the only time when you can act. Delaying a dream only postpones the joy and fulfillment it will bring. Take a leap of faith and start pursuing your dreams now, as you never know what tomorrow may bring.
This doesn’t quit your job if you don’t like it when you have a family to support. It doesn’t mean drop out of school to be an actor. It means start by asking your family or employer how it might be possible for you to take a step to make your dream a reality. You can do that without doing anything radical. For example, it would mean enrolling in an improv or acting class on your day off, or seeking out like minded individuals for support on how to get started without being irresponsible. It might mean finding a way to start your dream under what might be considered difficult, but not impossible, circumstances.